The new route first follows the Soča River and climbs below Mt. Krn. Crossing the Zatolmin mountains, the route passes the world-famous memorial church on Javorca, before descending back into the valley of the Tolminka river. The route then follows the Tolminka river all the way to the starting point at the confluence of Soča and Tolminka.
Between the festival venue in Tolmin and the village of Kamno in the valley, the route runs almost entirely on gravel paths and cart tracks along the Soča River. In the village of Gabrje, the route turns away from the river and bites into the first steep, but short ascent. Reaching the village of Volarje, the route descents back down towards the river.
Most of the ascent between the villages of Kamno and Krn runs on a well-maintained asphalt road. After Krn, the route turns into a forest road in the direction of Mt. Pretovč. A short section of this path is very narrow and competitors need to dismount their bikes here.
Near the hunting lodge on Mt. Pretovč, the trail joins the connecting route between the Zatolmin mountains. The latter runs mostly downhill on a gravel path from Mt. Medrje across Mt. Laška seč, Črča, Zagrmuč and Javorca, all the way to Mt. Polog. At the Javorca Memorial Church, the route runs on a scenic paved road. In the valley, it reaches a well-maintained forest road, which is mostly gravel, but also has a few asphalt sections.
At the church of St. Peter, which is located at the entrance to the Triglav National Park, the route turns left towards Tolmin and then to the Tolminka River. The last part of the route follows the river all the way to the marathon starting point at the confluence of Soča and Tolminka. Due to organizational reasons, the initial and the final section of the route might still be changed.
Date of competition: Sunday, July 4th 2021
The competition start time: 9:00 (timing ends at 14:00)
Organizer: Institute Factory of Sustainable Tourism GoodPlace
Location: Tolmin, Sotočje, main venue of the Soča Outdoor Festival
Discipline: marathon (XC)
Distance: 42 km *
Total ascent: 1.500 m **
Route description: Tolmin (festival venue) – Volarje – Kamno – Vrsno – Krn village – Mt. Pretovč – Mt. Medrje – Javorca memorial church – Mt. Polog – Zatolmin – Tolmin (festival venue)
* The organizer reserves the right to make minor changes to the route until the closing of the applications on June 20th (especially in its initial and final part).
** At the moment, this is an estimate of the total elevation. A more precise number will be published no later than at the application deadline on June 20st.
07:00 – 08:45 Pick-up of the starting numbers (registered competitors)
07:00 – 08:30 Registration of new competitors
09:00 Start of the Soča MTB marathon (at festival venue)
14:00 Completion of timing
14:00 Announcement of the results
The eighth edition of the Soča Outdoor Festival since 2014 brings the discipline of MTB XC Marathon back to Tolmin with a classic marathon distance and a brand-new route. Due to various legislative restrictions, the story of mountain biking has a long history here, while also being of great importance for both the festival and the destination offer. The biking competition takes place on the last day of the festival, on July 4th 2021. The start of the competition is scheduled at 9:00 at the main festival venue. Timing ends at 14:00.
CLICK FOR MTB REGISTRATION FORM
Competitors need to bring their own cups and use them at the aid stations. Drinks in disposable cups will, however, also be available at the stations.
Kamno village (D)
Krn village (F+D)
Polog valley (F+D)
Sotočje – finish line (F+D)
F = food
D = drink
DISTANCE FROM START
|DATE||UNTIL 23. 05. 2021||UNTIL 20. 06. 2021||ON SITE|
- Online registration
- On the competition day the registration desk at the festival venue (may not be available due to the limited number of participants)
- Registration is completed and valid when paid in full only
All participants receive
- Refreshments along the route (aid stations with drinks and/or food)
- Meal and a drink at the finish
- Gift from the organizer
- Adidas T-shirt
- Participation medal
- Men 18 – 39 years (born 1982-2003)
- Men 40 – 49 years (born 1972-1981)
- Men above 50 years (born 1971 and earlier)
- Women 18 – 39 years (born 1982-2003)
- Women above 40 years (born 1981 and earlier)
- Youth 14 – 17 years (born 2004-2007)
- E-MTB over 14 years (born 2007 and earlier)
* BIB number that must always be visible
Appropriate MTC XC bike
Extra food and drinks for sections between aid stations
Basic first aid kit
Basic bike maintenance kit
- On the day of the competition, the registration desk will be located at the main event venue.
- By paying the online registration fee and signing the registration form, the competitors accept the terms and conditions and agree to take part in the competition at their own risk. During onsite registrations, competitors accept these terms by signing the registration forms.
- Parents or caregivers accept the responsibility for underage competitors by signing the registration form.
- All competitors agree with promotional use of photo and video material from the competition.
- Medical assistance is provided on the route.
- The organizer reserves the right to make changes to the event program. In case of any changes, the competitors will be notified in time.
- The organizer does not accept liability for any damage or injury made by the competitors to themselves, to other competitors or to a third person.
- The organizer does not accept liability for any damage made to biking gear.
- Each person participates at their own responsibility.
- A designated parking space will be available for teams, competitors and spectators.
- We do not return the paid fees.